The countdown to the election has begun! I’m so excited 🙂
In just 12 weeks from now the whole thing is over on Saturday 8 October 2016.
I’m finishing off my nomination form today and thought you might be interested in a quick update from me:
#1. I’ve visited 3463 homes so far
- For 1022 of these visits I’ve talked to people face-to-face, and for the rest, I’ve left a flyer behind
- I’ve walked, scooted and cycled 263 km in Matua, Judea, Brookfield, Bellevue, and Bethlehem
- What residents say when I visit them
- Solved: The Mystery Of The Midnight Doorbell
- Milestone: 3066 Homes Visited
- Milestone: 1873 Matua Homes Visited (100%)
Will I be knocking on your door next?
If you live in Bethlehem, Pyes Pa or The Lakes, I may be knocking on your door over the next few weeks.
#2. I’ve read thousands of pages of council documents (and loved it!)
- The 17 Most Interesting Bits Of The Local Government Act 2012
- My Summary of SmartGrowth 2013
- 4 Lessons From 1029 Pages Of Tauranga City Council Strategy
- 8 Things I Learned From The Tauranga City Council Long Term Plan 2015 – 2025
I’m reading through all the bylaws right now and I’ve found it very interesting. I’ll put a summary of what I’ve learned on my website soon.
#3. I’ve interviewed 42 people for an hour in person (and over the phone)
- To get their perspective on Tauranga city
- To get marketing ideas for my election campaign
- I have another 40 on my list because I always ask “who should I meet next?”
If there is someone you think I should definately meet with, let me know by replying to this email.
#4. I’ve been telling my story to groups
- There seems to be a lot of interest in my story of how I brought Tauranga Start-Up Weekend and TEDxTauranga to Tauranga
- I’ve told my story to 3 groups so far and have another 4 in my calendar, but I’d like more
- There is no political content in my story. I leave it to the host to mention my ambitions at the end if they so choose
My talk is entitled: “Find out how to motivate a team of 24 to donate 3000 hours of their time to run a full day event that changes peoples lives”
Sheldon is most famous in Tauranga for bringing TEDxTauranga to our city. The event is now in its 4th year, run by unpaid volunteers and had 1010 people in the audience in the 2015 event. Previous to that Sheldon brought Tauranga StartUp Weekend to the city (now in it’s 5th year). In that event entrepreneurs can go from an idea scribbled on a scrap of paper to a company with co-founders, investors, customers and a product within 54 hours. By day, Sheldon provides marketing advice to clients and has done so since 2009. In that time he has earnt an MBA from Waikato University and has helped raise 3 young boys 6, 4, 2 years old with his wife. Sheldon has recently discovered his purpose in life. It is to connect people together.
Do you belong to a community group with members in the Otumoetai/Pyes Pa ward that would like to hear my story? Let me know by replying to this email.
#5. Would you like to contribute financially to my campaign?
Are you able to support me with a small (or huge) financial donation to help me on my journey towards becoming a Tauranga City Councillor?
The purpose of the campaign is to grow my exposure beyond the door knocking I’m doing and talks to groups.
What I am spending it on:
- Photography, Videography
- Flyers and Business Cards
- Online Advertising (Facebook, Google Cost-Per-Click)
- Outdoor signage: Street sign, blimp
- Newspaper/radio advertising
#6 Why I’m spending 18 hours a week on my campaign
I’m spending about 18 hours a week on this project reading documents, meeting people and attending meetings (and have done so since January).
Why am I working so hard to be elected?
- Because I fell called. It feels like my life has been leading me to this point. Looking back, I now see I’ve been honing the skills that make a great councillor, all my life
- I want to be the most prepared candidate the city has ever seen
- It is the most fascinating puzzle: people, money, ideas, emotion, passion, the past, the present, the future
Thanks for taking an interest 🙂
If you have more ideas about how I can increase my chances of being elected at a Tauranga City Councillor, let me know.
“Standing For Tauranga City Council 2016: Otumoetai/Pyes Pa Ward”
* Linkedin – http://www.linkedin.com/in/sheldonnesdale